The job posting said, “Must be a graduate.” But I’m not.
The job posting said, “Must have 2 years of experience in this field” for an entry-level position. But I don’t.
We’ve all been there, haven’t we? Faced with job descriptions that seem more like wish lists from the hiring manager’s wildest dreams than realistic qualifications. Those bold, italicized words can be discouraging, even disheartening. “Must” and “required” can sound so inflexible, so non-negotiable, that it’s easy to dismiss the opportunity before you even begin.
But here’s the thing: you should still apply.
Let’s face it; we often underestimate our potential and the willingness of employers to look beyond a list of prerequisites. The truth is, most job seekers disqualify themselves before they even enter the race. They see the mountain of qualifications and decide it’s too high to climb. But guess what? Sometimes, that mountain is not as insurmountable as it appears.
Many job postings are filled with jargon and industry-specific terminology that can make the requirements sound more rigid than they actually are. What’s listed as an absolute necessity may turn out to be more of an ideal preference. Employers frequently cast a wide net in their job postings, hoping to attract the best talent available. It’s not unusual for those “must-haves” to be more like “nice-to-haves.”
Have you ever applied for a job that you didn’t meet all the requirements for? If not, it might be time to rethink your strategy. It’s important to be honest about your qualifications, but it’s equally crucial to remember that the hiring process isn’t always black and white. There’s often room for negotiation and flexibility. It’s about how you present yourself, your potential, and your enthusiasm for the role.
Think about it this way: if you meet 70% of the qualifications, you’re already in a strong position. The remaining 30% can be learned, adapted, or developed on the job. It’s your passion, determination, and drive that can set you apart and persuade the hiring manager to take a chance on you.
So, the next time you come across a job posting that seems just out of reach, don’t let it deter you. Apply. Believe in yourself and your capacity to grow. Don’t let job postings keep you from pursuing your dream career. Sometimes, all it takes is that one courageous application to change the trajectory of your professional journey. Breaking barriers often means pushing past self-imposed limitations and pursuing opportunities that initially seem unattainable.
Want to see more and never miss an update?
Find me on Twitter
Follow me on Instagram